Saturday, August 31, 2013

RE: USA Africa Dialogue Series - Don Ohadike- Eight Years After

Oga Segun:

 

You are right many of us dropped our "foreign" names. I did change my name from William Swaniker Akurang-Parry to Kwabena Opare-Akurang when I was in form three in secondary school. In fact, I was not the only one in the class who dropped what you describe as a "Hebrew" or "Western" names. Many of my classmates did. We were influenced by a young radical teacher who taught us African literature - African Writers Series of Chinua Achebe, Ferdinand Oyono, Mongo Beti, Alan Paton, Camara Laye, Ngugi W'Thiongo, etc. that truly and effectively empowered and conscientized us to  believe in our Africanity. My father never forgave me for changing the family name and on his death bed in 1998, his last message was that since I was his eldest son, I had to carry the family name: Akurang-Parry. Thus, I made a posthumous compromise with him: I use Kwabena instead of  William Swaniker with Akurang-Parry, the family name. The family name has a long history of its own! 

 

Kwabena 


From: usaafricadialogue@googlegroups.com [usaafricadialogue@googlegroups.com] on behalf of Segun Ogungbemi [seguno2013@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:58 PM
To: usaafricadialogue@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: USA Africa Dialogue Series - Don Ohadike- Eight Years After

There are many of us who had a similar experience and got our names changed to African names. My parents gave me an Hebrew name found in the Bible and as I grew up in knowledge I changed it to what gives me meaning and proper identification with my Yoruba root. 
Today, nothing pleases me more than projecting my indigenous traditional identity and values. 
Ogun agbe yin o. Aase

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 31, 2013, at 8:26 PM, Osiadi@aol.com wrote:

Thank you Kwabena my brother. I agree with you. Such oral histories are invaluable and undiluted. I tell you what rude awakenings I got when I arrived the United States eons ago. I enrolled at Howard Univrsity in the Department of African Studies with a major in social anthropology and minor in polical science. The chairman of the department was Professor Chike Onwuachi of blessed memory. The first class was the Anthropology of African World. When the professor walked into the class, I stood up. But I noticed no other student stood. I sat down quietly, somewhat embarrassed. This was my first rude awakening.
 
I always sat in the front because of my height. Now, it was time for us to introduce ourselves. I was the fifth in the front row. I introduced myself as 'John Osia.' The fine young lady who had just introduced herself asked me openly whether or not I was an American or a British, to which I replied in the negative. She retorted with a mocking question: why are you John? My friend,  I found myself stuttering in an attmept to explain how I was "John." This was a second rude awakening. Indeed when I got back to where I was living in Northeast Washington, I had sleepless night trying to sort out what happened to me in class. I solved the second rude awakening. I wrote to my parish priest in my village to update my baptismal register and card by adding KUNIRUM because that was my African name. That name meant much to my parents and my culture. I emphasized that from there and then I must be addressed as Kunirum not John, full stop.
 
Since there was no second introduction in the next class, I raised up my hand  and the professor acknowledged me. He said : yes John. I stood up and said politely in clear unequvocative Englisdh that I would like the class to know that my name, given to me by my parents  was KUNIRUM and that was the name I wanted to be known and addressed as. That 'John' was my baptismal name which came to me 12 years after my existence as KUNIRUM. Our professor was so happy that he openly invited me to have dinner with his family a week later. When I went to the dinner the professor welcomed me and said "you are perfect for African Studies...Africans should never be ashamed to project their Africaness anywhere." Thanks again Kwabena

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "USA-Africa Dialogue Series" moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin.
For current archives, visit http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
For previous archives, visit http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
To post to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue-
unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to usaafricadialogue+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "USA-Africa Dialogue Series" moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin.
For current archives, visit http://groups.google.com/group/USAAfricaDialogue
For previous archives, visit http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/index.html
To post to this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue-
unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to usaafricadialogue+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Car Blog Animals Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Autos Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario arrozinhoii sonasol halfbakedtaters make-it-plain amatha